Honoring wishes and tailoring our care to meet your needs is our top priority and we recognize the special needs of veterans.
Our goal is to:
- Thank veterans for their service to our country
- Provide veterans with an opportunity to tell their stories
- Link veterans and their families to services and benefits available to them
- Offer a pinning ceremony to honor the veteran
- Show appreciation for the families of veterans and support them as they support their loved one
A Final Wish to Fly
US Navy Veteran Takes Flight on his 91st Birthday
Robert Shaffer’s 91st birthday was approaching. One day Karen, his Hospice social worker, asked if there were any goals he still wanted to accomplish. Bob said he wished to fly a small plane one more time. He shared memories of when he owned a Cessna four-seat plane and the flights he would take around the Pacific Northwest.
So Karen and his Hospice team got to work. They found a local pilot who donated his time for the flight and the Montecito Manor staff, where Robert lived, volunteered to take Mr. Shaffer to and from Watsonville airport. Robert’s daughters were in on the planning too.
On the day of the flight, Robert shared that he was a bit nervous. But once up in the air, he felt the freedom of flight. “It was a real treat for me,” said Bob. When he returned home to Montecito Manor, he couldn’t help but share his adventures with the other residents and staff. He even stated that his life felt complete.