Because music is non-threatening, enjoyable and enhances brain function, people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities can gain therapeutic benefits. When offered as a part of hospice care, music therapy can enhance the efforts to address the physical, emotional, cognitive and social needs of patients.
A typical session could include:
- Singing songs that bring joy, spiritual reflection, or memories
- Sharing music with family and friends
- Writing songs based on thoughts and feelings shared in the session
- Making sounds playing musical instruments and voice for those patients who are non-verbal
- Preparing music for memorial services, if desired