- This event has passed.
Hospice Foundation of America Teleconference Aging America: Coping with Loss, Dying, and Death in Later Life
June 18 @ 9:30 am - 2:00 pm
America is aging at a rapid rate with 10,000 people in the U.S. turning 65 every day. Medicare is expected to include 80 million enrollees by 2040. How can mental health professionals, healthcare providers, clergy, bereavement counselors, and the wider community support the growing number of aging Americans through their losses, grief, and healthcare challenges in later life.Join Hospice of Santa Cruz County as we view this teleconference and follow with a panel of experts. Click here to register online. The ticket price is $30 and includes lunch.
– Describe both strengths and challenges that older persons face as they deal with loss in later life
– Describe the ways that loss and grief may affect the health of older persons
– Discuss constraints to older persons utilization of support groups and counseling and assess strategies to encourage use of appropriate services
– Describe factors that may complicate advance care planning and end-of-life decisions in older persons;
– Describe the ways ensuring the ethical principles of autonomy, beneficence and justice should be balanced in complex cases involving older adults
– Discuss how comprehensive care planning can help manage chronic illness and improve outcomes for older adults.
– Discuss life review and other interventive strategies to assist dying and bereaved persons in later life.
– Ken Doka, PhD, MDiv, The College of New Rochelle
– Patricia Murphy, PhD, APN, FAAN, FPCN Rutgers-New Jersey Medical School
– Brian de Vries, PhD, San Francisco State University, Emeritus
– Moderator: Frank Sesno, George Washington University
A local panel of professionals will follow:
– Shirley Sapena, LCSW Social Worker, Hospice of Santa Cruz County
– Mitch Matthews, MPP Associate Director, Health Projects Center
– Cindy Saunders, Executive Director, Visiting Angels
Click here to register online. The ticket price is $30 and includes lunch.