Grief is a natural part of life when someone we love dies. Finding your way through the changes and often painful emotions that arise during the days, weeks and months that follow a death can be difficult. You don’t have to do it alone. Hospice of Santa Cruz County has helped thousands of people through their grief journey.
- Individual Grief Support - for Hospice families and members of the community who have experienced or are anticipating the death of a loved one.
Grief Groups - provide an opportunity for emotional support, sharing of feelings, education about the grief process, and ways to cope with loss. Drop-in groups are available year-round, excluding holidays. Community members who have experienced a loss are welcome to attend as desired. We also offer 8 week groups with a specific focus, such as the loss of a parent. Our drop-in and 8 weeks groups are designed for adults only. For children’s services, please see our Children’s Grief Support services listed below.
Drop-in Grief Support Groups: Please call (831) 430-3000 for directions. Click to download a Group List
- Mondays 4-5:30pm, Spanish language group, in Watsonville
- Tuesdays 6:00-7:30pm in Aptos
- Fridays Noon-1pm in Scotts Valley
Eight week groups: The following groups are now forming to start in late March and April 2014. Pre-registration is required. Please call 430-3000 to register.
Loss of Spouse or Partner, starting Tuesday evening April 1st in Scotts Valley
Loss of Spouse or Partner for Seniors, Friday daytime group in Aptos from 10am-11:30am, start date to be determined
Loss of Parent, starting Saturday morning April 5th in Scotts Valley
Loss of Sibling, in Soquel, start date to be determined
Loss of Child (minor), Scotts Valley and Freedom in collaboration with Jacob’s Heart Children’s Cancer Support Services. Start date and time to be determined.
Loss of Adult Child, an evening group in Santa Cruz, start date to be determined.
Loss of a Loved One/Mixed Grief Group (friend or relative), starting Wednesday evening April 16th in Watsonville
Expressive Arts starting Monday evening March 31st in Scotts Valley
Cooking Thru Grief, (a two-week group) April 24th & May 8th, an evening group in Aptos
- Drop-in Grief Support Groups: Please call (831) 430-3000 for directions. Click to download a Group List
Please call (831) 430-3000 for more information about these groups, to sign up for one of the groups, or to be notified when dates and times for a group have been determined. Click to download a Group List
- Children’s Grief Support - Our Children’s Grief Support program for children and adolescents offers individual, group and in-school support. Kids receive age-appropriate support and tools to process their grief in a healthy manner.
- Support in the workplace for coping with a death or anticipated death.
- A Lending Library of books and tapes on grief and loss.
- Referrals to other community resources.
Grief support is available to everyone in our community. You do not have to receive other hospice services to take part in our grief support programs. If you are grieving the death of someone close to you, call us at (831) 430-3000 or email us. Let us share how we can help.
The following information may be helpful in your grief process. It may also help you to support your loved ones as they grieve.
Download Our Booklets: